DJI, introduces DJI Mini 3 Pro yesterday, its most powerful lightweight and portable camera drone. Weighing less than 249 grams which is under the UK CAA regulations minimum weight requirements, it delivers advanced features like 4K/60fps video, ActiveTrack, tri-directional obstacle sensing, and 90° gimbal rotation to shoot high-quality vertical imaging for social media, all while extending its flight time to 34 minutes. Drone School UK ordered this drone as soon as it was launche, for delivery before the end of May 2022.
Less Than 249 g, More Than Capable
According to the regulations of the UK, drones under 250 grams have been placed in the safest drone category. At under 249 grams, Mini 3 Pro’s combination of weight, safety, and performance. With this portable, powerful aerial camera, we can now use this drone in our Drone flight School on our basic Drone Flying Course.
Expanding the Possibilities of a Mini Drone
The Mini 3 Pro is unbelievably powerful for a drone so compact. Like its predecessors – Mavic Mini, Mini 2, and Mini SE – it keeps the same compact foldability for packing and taking anywhere. But Mini 3 Pro was made with more built-in features than any other DJI drone its size, thanks to enhanced flight performance, camera system, battery life, and intelligent features that were previously only available in the Air and Mavic series.
New unusual Design
The Mini 3 Pro is a completely new structural design that brings several performance enhancements. The arms and propellers have been adjusted for more aerodynamic flight that increases flight time. This new design also mounts forward and backward dual-vision sensors at the very front of the drone, broadening sensing range for safer flight. A complete gimbal redesign unlocks more camera angles than ever, enabling movements like tilt-up shots and vertical shooting.
Obstacle Sensing for Safer Flight
DJI Mini 3 Pro features Tri-Directional Obstacle Sensing, consisting of forward, backward, and downward visual sensors. The forward and downward sensors have a wider field of view, providing seamless coverage for better route planning and environmental awareness. These sensors also enable Advanced Pilot Assistance Systems (APAS) 4.0, which automatically detects and finds a safer path around obstacles during flight.
In addition, these sensors also enable FocusTrack which allows users to select a subject that the drone automatically keeps within the center of the frame during flight while automatically planning a safe flight route. Thanks to its upgraded sensing system, DJI Mini 3 Pro is the first of the Mini lineup to integrate APAS and FocusTrack.
A Camera System for Pro-Quality Content
DJI Mini 3 Pro also brings a completely enhanced imaging system. A 1/1.3-inch CMOS camera sensor has dual native ISO. It also has an aperture of f/1.7 and shoots images at up to 48MP and video at up to 4K/60fps.
To help capture high-quality easy-to-upload social media friendly content, the camera rotates 90 degrees for True Vertical Shooting, creating incredible photos and videos in portrait orientation without quality-cutting image zooming and cropping. For the most vivid detail, HDR video recording is available at frame rates up to 30fps. A Normal color profile is available for quick in-app editing, while D-Cinelike allows for more post-editing possibilities.
Digital video zoom at up to 2x is available in 4K, 3x in 2.7K, and 4x in Full HD. Among the key pieces of user feedback we’ve applied, DJI Mini 3 Pro also has improved image performance with 2.4μm pixels that capture more image detail, which is especially helpful in low lighting and night.
Extended Battery Life and Transmission Distance
Even though DJI Mini 3 Pro is under 249 grams, it still arrives with extended flight time. At a maximum flight of 34 minutes,
To give users more choice, Mini 3 Pro also introduces an extended flight battery option for the first time in DJI drone history. The Intelligent Flight Battery Plus allows for a maximum flight time of 47 minutes, but this battery option pushes the weight of the drone over the 249g threashold.
Pairing perfectly with this extended flight time, Mini 3 Pro features the O3 transmission system, which delivers a crisp 1080p live view from a distance as far as 12 km.
Extended Intelligent Flight Modes
There is a full suite of intelligent capturing modes from DJI’s Air and Mavic series is now available on Mini 3 Pro to let you create like never before. With a single tap, you can do the following:
- Spotlight 2.0keeps the subject in frame while you fly manually.
- Point of Interest 3.0circles the subject in a set flight radius and speed.
- ActiveTrack 4.0follows the subject in two selectable ways:
- Trace:The aircraft tracks the subject at a constant distance
- Parallel: The aircraft tracks the subject while flying beside it at a constant angle and distance
- Dronie: Aircraft flies back and up with the camera locked on the subject.
- Helix: Aircraft flies up and spirals around the subject.
- Rocket: Aircraft flies up with the camera facing down.
- Circle: Aircraft circles around the subject.
- Boomerang: Aircraft flies around the subject in an oval path, ascending as it flies away and descending as it returns.
- Asteroid: Aircraft creates a shot that begins as a sphere panorama high above the subject and ends with a normal shot hovering near the subject.
- MasterShots: Keeps the subject in the center of the frame while executing different maneuvers in sequence to generate a short cinematic video.
- Hyperlapse: Creates a dynamic timelapse where the aircraft flies on set paths during capture.
“When we launched the Mini drone series in 2019, our goal was to give everyone the easiest way to see the world from above for the first time. Through their images and stories, we discovered how capable a small aerial camera could be. Today, we share the integration of excellent flight capability, intelligence, and imaging versatility into our ultra-lightweight aerial camera. DJI Mini 3 Pro raises the bar on what a portable, powerful camera drone can achieve.” said Ferdinand Wolf, Creative Director at DJI. “
Two DJI Remote Controller options
DJI offers two remote controller options the basic DJI RC, and an upgraded remote controller with a 5.5-inch built-in touchscreen. This has he DJI Fly app already integrated in an android-based device, so users don’t need to mount their smartphone to their controller.
Accessories for the DJI Mini 3 Pro
To get the most out of every flight, DJI Mini 3 Pro arrives with several accessories:
- DJI Mini 3 Pro Intelligent Flight Battery has a maximum flight time of 34 mins
- DJI Mini 3 Pro Intelligent Flight Battery Plus has a maximum flight time of 47 min
- DJI Mini 3 Pro Two-Way Charging Hub charges Mini 3 Pro Intelligent Flight Batteries in sequence
- DJI Mini 3 Pro ND Filters Set (ND 16/64/256)lets Mini 3 Pro capture more detail in the brightest of conditions
- DJI Mini 3 Pro Propellers are essential to help ensure reliable flight every time
- DJI 30W USB-C Charger charges an Intelligent Flight Battery to 0-100% in just 64 minutes and an Intelligent Flight Battery Plus in 101 minutes
Price and Availability
Prices start in the UK at £709.
Price £859 with integrated remote controller.
More Combination Pack is £159 this includes a 3x battery charger, two extra batteries, and a carry bag.
Shipping from May 17 2022.
We at Drone School UK have ordered the DJI Mini 3 Pro with the integrated controller and Combination pack with the extra batteries. It should be here to include and fly in our May courses.