The new DJI Mavic 3 Drone was launched in November and is now being shipped to customers in the UK. In our opinion it is the best compact, high-end videography drone. The DJI Mavic 3 enables you to capture stunning 20MP photos and incredible professional 5.1K video with a 4/3 CMOS Hasselblad camera.
DJI Mavic 3 is the most comprehensive improvement to the world’s most popular drone series in three years, boosting performance in every function and we are looking forward to flying this drone in our uk drone training and Drone Courses. It will be a great addition to our Drone Flying School.
All the new features and improvements on the Mavic 3 sets a higher standard for aerial photography.
Key Features of the Mavic 3:
- 46-minute battery life for those long-lasting shots
- 20 Megapixel, 4/3 CMOS Sensor with 28x hybrid zoom camera, the largest camera sensor in a consumer drone
- 4K video up to 120 fps or 5.1K up to 50 fps
- 100 Megapixel Panorama mode
- 200Mbps H.264 or 140Mbps H.265 video recording
- Omnidirectional obstacle sensing and avoidance with a maximum 200-meter range
- APAS 5.0 – advanced obstacle recognition with dynamic avoidance and navigation
- 15km maximum transmission range and increased signal strength in built-up areas
- Improved Return to home feature
- 8 stops of dynamic range
- f/2.8-f/11 adjustable aperture
- 24mm equivalent focal length
- VDAF (Vision Detection Auto Focus technology)
An enhanced DJI Mavic 3 Cine edition offers Apple ProRes 422 HQ encoding for richer video processing, with an internal 1TB SSD onboard for high-speed data storage.
- 1TB SSD Built into the drone
- Up to 3,772Mbps Apple ProRes 422 HQ video recording (nearly 19x more data in video to capture better colours and definition)
- Mavic 3 Cine edition Premium Combo includes all of the accessories in the Fly More Combo plus…
- 10Gbps Lightspeed data cable
- Included DJI RC Pro controller (similar to DJI Smart Controller)
- Extra set of ND filters for advanced photo/video techniques
The DJI MAVIC 3 Camera
DJI Mavic 3’s camera embeds a professional-grade 4/3 CMOS sensor with a 24mm prime lens in a compact form. The Hasselblad camera allow it to shoot 20MP still images in 12-bit RAW format and videos in 5.1K at 50fps, 4K at 120fps.The higher video definition creates smoother footage and more generous cropping possibilities and allows for slow-motion video at 120fps.
The larger image sensor gives Mavic 3 higher video resolution and dynamic range and more effectively suppresses noise in low-light environments. A native dynamic range of 12.8 stops helps retain more details in highlights and shadows, preserving rich visual information with a greater sense of depth and elevating imagery to a professional level. An adjustable aperture of f/2.8-f/11 is available to meet the needs of aerial photographers in a wide variety of lighting scenarios to get sharper and clearer images.
Weighing just 12.5 grams, the 24mm equivalent autofocus prime lens has an 84° FOV to capture more details with sharp clarity. Mavic 3’s second camera features a 162mm tele lens with 28x Hybrid Zoom (digital + optical) and aperture of f/4.4 that can freely bring distant objects visually closer, offering the user more dynamic perspectives and creative possibilities at a distance. The new Vision Detection Auto Focus technology for quick focusing allows the Hasselblad camera to work with multiple vision sensors on board to capture distance data to optimize focusing speed.
Mavic 3 delivers a deeply accurate color palette straight out of its camera thanks to the unique Hasselblad Natural Colour Solution (HNCS). Mavic 3 records aerial videos at high resolutions and framerates and captures up to 1 billion colors thanks to the 10-bit D-Log color profile, offering natural color gradations and advanced flexibility in post-production.
Mavic 3 Cine is a version with Apple ProRes 422 HQ encoding for a maximum data rate of 3772Mbps, giving professional users a powerful tool to satisfy post-production needs in their daily business.  To handle the large amounts of data from the ProRes codec and high frame rate videos, Mavic 3 Cine comes with a built-in 1TB SSD. For a smoother export experience, the new DJI 10Gbps Lightspeed Data Cable helps transfer large data files rapidly.
Flight Safety Features
The DJI Mavic 3 has improved obstacle sensing and navigation systems to give drone pilots the guidance they need to stay safe.
APAS 5.0 combines inputs from six fish-eye vision sensors and two wide-angle sensors, which continuously sense obstacles in all directions and plan safe flight routes to avoid them – even in complicated environments.
The omnidirectional obstacle sensing system also enables more intuitive subject tracking with the upgraded ActiveTrack 5.0, allowing users to sense obstacles even in Normal mode.
ActiveTrack 5.0 allows Mavic 3 to move with the subject as it moves forward, backward, left, right, and diagonally, and fly alongside as well as around a moving subject. In addition, if the subject moves too fast and temporarily goes out of frame, the visual sensors on the aircraft will continue to track and frame the subject intelligently and pick it back up when it reappears.
Mavic 3 comes with a powerful positioning algorithm that improves hovering precision with signals from GPS, GLONASS, and BeiDou satellites. This enables Mavic 3 to lock onto multiple satellite signals faster than ever.
Mavic 3 features other robust safety systems the AeroScope Remote ID system that allows authorities to identify and monitor airborne drones in sensitive locations. Mavic 3’s integrated AirSense system, warns drone pilots of nearby airplanes and helicopters transmitting ADS-B signals, so they can quickly fly to a safer location.
Much Longer Battery Life
The Mavic 3 has drastically longer flight times – up to 46 minutes in ideal conditions
DJI developed motors and propellers with higher energy efficiency, created a higher-capacity battery, and reduced the weight of the drone’s structure and components. DJI also streamlined the shape of Mavic 3’s arms, body, and gimbal on aerodynamic principles. Wind tunnel testing shows Mavic 3 produces 35% less drag than previous generations, allowing faster top speeds.
Advanced Return to Home
Mavic 3 RTH system automatically determine the shortest, safest, and energy-efficient route to land back at its home point. At the same time, the drone measures the wind speed of the current environment and calculates the power required for returning home based on the wind speed and the return path in real-time. This provides users with more time flying safely before triggering the RTH action.
Signal Loss Prevention with DJI O3+
DJI O3+ is an upgraded transmission system that delivers stable, smooth, and clear video transmission even under challenging conditions, such as flying a drone in an environment with strong signal interference. With a maximum control range of 15km, O3+ enables Mavic 3 to fly further and transmits signals with higher stability and less video lag, offering the pilot a greater peace of mind during flight.
Mavic 3 is DJI’s first drone that offers a High Frame-Rate Transmission with a 1080p/60fps live feed. This means the camera view is displayed at a resolution close to what the camera actually records.
Intelligent Modes for Unlimited Possibilities
Mavic 3 offers new Intelligent modes for creating and editing photos and videos by controlling the flight path and camera movements in compelling new ways.
These features, such as MasterShots, Panorama mode, and QuickTransfer, allow users to make the most out of their drone.
DJI Mavic 3 New Accessories
- The new smart controller DJI RC Pro offers a smoother control experience, upgraded with enhanced antenna power for an extended transmission distance of up to 15 km. Its 1000-nit high-bright screen allows better vision and control for outdoor flights. Its battery system offers an extended operating time of up to three hours and charging as fast as 90 minutes.
- The DJI 65W Portable Charger allows a fast-charging option with a charging time of approximately 96 minutes and is compatible with current notebooks and smartphones thanks to its USB Type-C output.
- The DJI Convertible Carrying Bag features an entirely new design with a backpack and shoulder bag configuration for taking Mavic 3, accessories, a laptop, and even clothes and other personal items for a weekend trip in style.
- The DJI Mavic 3 Wide-Angle Lens offers an FOV of up to 108° for a more immersive FPV-style flight experience.
- The DJI Mavic 3 Storage Cover uses a lightweight, minimalist design to protect the camera, gimbal, and propellers when folding and transporting Mavic 3.
- The DJI ND Filters Set comes in two ranges – ND4/8/16/32 and ND64/128/256/512 – and lets the camera excel in any bright lighting condition.
- The DJI 10Gbps Lightspeed Data Cable enables users to download materials from the drone to their computer at high speed. Material backup is available on-site, thanks to high-speed transmission.